Boost Up Your Smoothie With Four New Ingredients To Swirl




Smoothies are a frequent choice for me. They are a filling, on-the-go mini-meal I can take with me anywhere and sip away on busy days.  I also like all the nutrient-dense items I throw in them.  But, I like to vary it up a lot and change the smoothie swirl scene and throw in different items to expose my body to various superfoods.

I wrote about smoothies here and here and here and why you may want to incorporate them in your diet and how best to do so.  I also have a Pinterest board, In Liquid Form, that contains a lot of specific smoothie recipes (and soups) from around the web that you can pop on over to browse.  (I wish you would!) But today,  I wanted to share some nutrient dense foods that I have been adding to my smoothies lately (not every day, though) to benefit me in a number of ways.  Read on to find out what and why I am watching these items swirl up in my blender lately.





Foods to Throw in Your Smoothies

Here are four superfoods that I have been including in my smoothies recently:

1.  Matcha:  The green tea powder, matcha, is a real energy booster in the gentlest of ways.  This is great for an afternoon smoothie addition as it gives you a nice nudge to power up for the rest of the day.  I wrote about the endless health benefits of this powder here (and there are a lot), but I have found I prefer it in a smoothie as it dissolves so much better than when I brew it as a tea in hot water. (If there are any hints you have on matcha tea brewing, please inform in the comments as I would love to know.) It really makes your smoothie such a pretty color too!


2.  Bee pollen:  Technically, I do not swirl this in my blender but rather I sprinkle a bit on top after the smoothie has been swirled.  I did not care for the texture when I blended it with the rest of my smoothie ingredients.


Bee pollen is rich in proteins, free amino acids, and vitamins, including B-complex and folic acid. It also contains a great amount of rutin, which can play a role in strengthening the capillaries, blood vessels and aid circulation. There has not been a lot of scientific research on bee pollen, but it is used in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and this doctor has information on some studies regarding bee pollen and skin care and breast cancer as well as some others.


3.  Brazil nuts:  I don't care for the taste of Brazil nuts.  In fact, aren't they always the ones left in the bowl of mixed nuts at parties?  Well, that is so unfair to the Brazil nuts because they are an excellent source of a good fat - mono-unsaturated fatty acids that help to lower LDL or "bad cholesterol" and increases HDL or "good cholesterol" in our bodies.  They are also a nice source of vitamin-E, a great skin protector of free radicals. But, a main reason why I throw one in my smoothies every now and then is for the high levels of selenium. I wrote about thyroid support here and selenium is important to guide that gland along. Selenium may also play a role in immunity support as well.


4.  Fresh citrus:  I love the taste of lemon (documented here) and all the other citrus flavors so I frequenly throw in a peeled orange, lemon or lime or the juice of all three. I love the freshness it adds to smoothies.  The vitamin C and the pectin is a great addition as possible cancer preventers as discussed here.


I would love to hear any of your favorite ingredients that you juice or smooth. Please add in the comments any tips you can share!

Need a bit more?

Curious about more ideas to throw in your smoothie?
Confused about when to juice or when to make a smoothie and how?
Craving something warm, nutritious and creamy instead?


Photo credit: waterlilly swirl by Tanakawho: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28481088@N00/239048582/

No comments:

Post a Comment